Internet radio is very popular nowadays. Either internet radio is an already recorded mp3 file or it is a live broadcast over internet. Usually when you tune into any radio station, you can listen to it only till it is in your range, but internet radio can be tuned wherever you are, you just need internet connection to tune it. So, internet radio is not dependent on any area.
The Basic elements required for Internet Radio:
You are a source because you will have to upload audio clips, recorded audio or live voice as an input on the server.
The Server is like a heart for internet radio as everything is done on the server. The audio you want to broadcast has to be uploaded on the server and can be accessed through the server. For e.g., one of the popular servers for the internet radio is shoutcheap.com.
Obviously, listeners are very important. If there won’t be any listener, then who would listen to your radio. So, it is good to have many listeners in order to get popularity of your radio.
Working of internet radio station:
To start an internet radio, you would need three softwares to broadcast your internet radio to the audience online. Firstly, you need to ensure whether sound drivers are installed in your system or not. Steps for working of the internet radio station:
- First of all, sign up on the radio server. Then you will get the two options to select the type of server. Two types of server are there, one is Shoutcast and the other one is Icecast server.
- Next step is to select the bitrate for the stream. If you want stream of the best quality, then you need to select the higher bitrate.
- If you do not wish to broadcast pre-recorded audio and wish to broadcast the stream live, then you need a stream encoder software. There are many stream encoder softwares that are available. Some of them are free and some of them are paid. If you are starting a new radio station, then you can choose free version and when your audience tends to grow, you can upgrade to the paid version of the software.
- Once your online radio gets started up, you can share your channel on the social media sites to gain the audience on your channel.
- Those who do not wish to livestream the audio, they can make use of AutoDJ feature that makes it possible for uploading the recorded audio to the servers. With this feature, you do not need to install stream encoding software. You just need to create scheduled playlists and then playlists are updated automatically and audio files then can be uploaded to the radio server automatically. Since the playlist is scheduled, AutoDj broadcasts the audio itself to the listeners on scheduled date and time.
Use of Internet Radio is highly beneficial because you are not restricted to a particular range of area or no such problem of disturbance is faced.